Our Coconut Custard Yam Pie is a versatile dessert that can be served warm or cold. This creamy pie is full of flavor is the perfect way to end a big holiday meal. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream to make it extra special!
• 2 cups mashed cooked yams (about 2 large)
• 3 eggs
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1 tsp. cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
• 1/4 tsp ginger
• 1/8 tsp. cloves
• 1 cup evaporated milk or light cream
• 1 1/2 cups freshly grated coconut (loosely packed)
• 1 unbaked 9" pastry shell
1) To prepare yams, bake in 350 degree oven for 40 mins or cook in boiling water for 25 minutes.
2) Cool, peel, and mash the yams.
3) In large bowl, beat eggs with sugar, salt and spices.
4) Add mashed yams and evaporated milk, then mix well.
5) Fold in 1 cup grated coconut. Spoon into unbaked pastry shell.
6) Bake at 350 degrees for 50 mins longer or until toothpick inserted into center of pie comes out clean.
7) Serve warm or cooled with whipped cream or ice cream.